Sunday Runday.. time for the BMO Van Marathon!
|High jump mat pre-race snuggles!|
|Joel at start- notice the ninja fight behind us? Or just the rain?|
|We're going to run, yeah?|
It was an absolute honour to run for not only my sponsors: Kintec/North Shore Athletics and Nutrition House Robson Street. On top of this we couldn't have been more thrilled to represent Kidsafe Project Society (helping venerable children in East Van by providing recreational activities for kids, safe transportation and healthy nutrition) and Team Finn (honouring the memory of Finn and helping families and children faced with cancer).
10 Things We Learnt in our First Road Marathon:
- Check weather forecast of race day the entire week before and monitor it like a mother hen.. it changes!
- Pre-race prep is just as important and post race recovery. Rest, Roll, Stretch, Hydrate, Nourish and treat your body right!
- Pack the "Bear Necessities!". (If you know the Jungle Book, YOU know what I'm talking about!)
- Recuit friends to cheer you on and pass you goodies like water, food and highfives.
- Drink water and electrolytes no matter the weather... turns out you still sweat in the rain. Doh.
- Wear proper footwear. Yes. We saw someone in BAREFEET! We prefer our Hoka One One's.
- You are probably going to be sore. Oh wait. You WILL be sore after running 42.2km on road.
- Smiles and positivity are contagious. Share some energy and you'll refill your own battery off the energy of the crowd.
- Enjoy the moment. You are doing something amazing.
- Marathon's are like tattoos. After swearing you'll never do it again from the pain.. the pain goes away and you can't wait for the next one! -Joel
|Joel nearing the finish line!|
|Shanny nearing the finish line!|