Saturday, 15 March 2014

Recovery is Really Rad!

As you have seen by our posts, we get out there and we get active! I know I speak for myself, and I'm sure a lot of other athletes out there when I say that sometimes I find it hard to want to take time to recover. Working out is important. But so is recovery. It allows the chance for our bodies to heal and get stronger. After struggling with over training for over a year, I discovered I was running my body into the ground.. literally. Even though I felt fine, didn't feel tired, sore or weak, my body started to rebel against my every day training regime. I found myself getting shingles, allergic reactions, sick and eventually, pneumonia. Getting pneumonia was the thing that really hit home. I discovered that I had it a day after struggling through a trail marathon at Halloween that just seemed waaaay to challenging on the hills. I attributed it to just being weak from a cough that had kept me (and poor Joel) up for weeks. I was still eating cough drops and gasping as we did the marathon, but had a great time as we were wearing full out superhero costumes! Who can't smile being Superman, fake 6-pack, cape and all!? PLUS i had The Flash running in front of me encouraging me! Anyways, chest pain started a day later and I was diagnosed with pneumonia (i didn't believe it cuz honestly.. who runs a marathon with pneumonia?!) and told I needed to rest or I could cause permanent lung damage. With this sort of sickness, there wasn't any arguing.. I HAD to STOP! Now I know most people don't get this, but even having a day where I didn't do ANYTHING was almost impossible. It was one of the hardest mental and emotional things.. even more challenging than the physical symptoms of the sickness. Waking up to have to watch your partner get to work out and having to sit down and rest was awful. Even going for a walk outside was the max I was allowed to do. It was so difficult, but it really taught me how awful it would be if I had to go through this again. Ever since, I've been trying to incorporate more rest days.. I'll be honest, I find it very challenging, but everyone is being very supportive and Joel is always making sure I am on it. I'm sure it will get easier and easier, and it already is, but I just need to keep in mind that what you do after your workout is sometimes just as or even more important than what you do during your work out. That brings me to the point of this blog, my new favourite post-work out supplement provided by Nutrition House Robson Street..

Genuine Health's Activrecover+


Joel and I started taking this post-workout supplement a couple months ago and even brought the individually packaged servings of it with us to help ensure our nutritional needs were met during our 150km stage race in Costa Rica, The Coastal Challenge. We are finding extremely beneficial to our immediate post-workout recovery as is Activrecover+ is specifically designed to:
  1. Rebuild weakened muscles while maintaining blood sugar levels
  2. Restore energy
  3. Decrease recovery time between workouts
One of the great things about this sports nutrition supplement is it's amazing healthy attributes. It contains no artificial colours, flavours, sweeteners or preservatives. (This is pretty difficult to find in a lot of sports supplements as tons of them are full of weird dyes, unpronounceable chemicals and who knows what else that makes you tingle or twitch?! lol) This product is also gluten-free and 100% vegan- containing no dairy, eggs, wheat, soy, yeast or animal products. It is made out of such ingredients as pea and potato protein isolates, sprouted brown rice and citrus juice. YAY! 

The other great thing is the taste! Even though its made of natural ingredients, it actually tastes great! It has a nice citrus orange taste that isn't too sweet, but it is surprisingly creamy! It reminds me of an orange creamsicle! And let's be honest.. who doesn't want to eat Creamsicles after their workout?! 

I love making a smoothie out of it in the blender. For a simply quick delicious post workout shake all you need to do is:
  • Add 3 ice cubes into a blender
  • One frozen banana broken into pieces
  • One handful frozen berries or fresh berries
  • Two scoops Activrecover+ (around 140 calories) 
  • Almond, coconut or any other type of milk (or water if you prefer)
  • Blend until smooth and enjoy!
Another great thing about this recovery supplement is that you don't need to add any BCAA's or sweeteners as it has Creatine monohydrate, L-leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine, L-Glutamine and two types of protein. It is sweetened naturally with Stevia and if you add fruit to your shake it's even yummier! No GMO's and packed full of goodness: that's what I call refreshing!

Stop by Nutrition House Robson Street to try some out today!!

Run hard, train hard, recover happy!

Shanny 

No comments:

Post a Comment